You don't live in a reception centre and need medical aid
If, as an asylum seeker, you are not staying in a reception centre, you can still get medical assistance.
What is medical assistance?
- A visit to the GP if you are ill
- A visit to the dentist if you have tooth pain
- A medical examination at the doctor's request (ultrasound, X-ray, scan)
- In some cases surgery and rehabilitation (e.g. physiotherapy)
- Medication on doctor's prescription (pharmacist)
- Other medical visits
How do you ask for medical assistance?
A few days before your visit to the doctor, hospital or pharmacist, you (or your doctor) must submit an application to the Fedasil Medical Costs Unit via the online form (in English, French or Dutch).
Fedasil will examine whether it will repay the costs.
You take the requisitorium to the doctor, hospital or pharmacist.
After your visit Fedasil will pay the medical costs.
Did you receive a medical invoice at home while Fedasil is responsible?
If you receive a medical invoice (including reminders or letters from bailiffs) at home, you should send these letters to Fedasil at the following address as soon as possible:
Medical Costs Unit
- Include the requisitorium that accompanied the invoice.
- If the doctor's appointment was made urgently and it was not possible to request a requisitorium in advance, please add your national number or OV/SP number. You find the national number or OV/SP number on the documents (annex 26) you received from the Immigration Office.
Fedasil will investigate whether it will refund the costs.
Do you want to be reimbursed because you paid the costs directly?
For any request for reimbursement of medical expenses, Fedasil must have the following documents:
- Original invoice or a duplicate
- Proof of payment of the invoice
- Copy of the bank card. If the bank card is not in the patient's name, a letter from the applicant agreeing to the reimbursement to the specified account number must be attached.
- The requisitorium or your personal details (national number or OV/SP number if the appointment is urgent and it was not possible to submit an application in advance).
- Send these documents to Fedasil at the following address:
Medical Costs Unit
Fedasil will investigate whether they will refund the costs.
Do you need urgent help, or are you in danger? Call the emergency number 101 or 112.