Gross wage/net wage

A wage is the money a person earns from his or her work. The amount before tax is deducted is called the gross wage. The amount after tax is deducted is the net wage. 


Financial support for people when they finish their career. In Belgium, the pensionable age is 65 years old.

Health insurance fund

An institution that offers you health insurance. The health insurance fund offers different services: full or partial reimbursement of medical expenses, health care, benefits if you are unable to work, etc. Affiliation with a health insurance fund is compulsory in Belgium.

Foster family

Foster parenting means that someone cares for and raises someone else's child. This can happen if the child's parents are (temporarily) unable to raise the child themselves.

Assisted Independent Living

If you are between 16 to 18 years old, this can be a way to live independently. A personal supervisor will support you in the household, with administration, work, studying, finances, but also with emotional matters.

Countries of the European Economic Area

  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Croatia
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Austria
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovenia
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Czech Republic
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern

Place of residence

The main residence is the place where a family or a single person usually lives. A family can consist of related persons (family members) and/or unrelated persons (e.g. friends, life companions, etc.).

Asylum services

Immigration Office (IO/OE/DVZ), Commissioner-General for Refugees and Stateless Persons (CGRS/CGRA/CGVS), Council for Alien Law Litigation (CALL/CCE/RvV).


An administrative punishment that you receive when you violate the house rules of the reception centre.

Installation bonus

A sum of money that helps you furnish your home. The money can be used to buy furniture (bed, table, fridge, etc.) or to pay for connections (gas, electricity, etc.).

The installation bonus is allocated by the CPAS/OCMW.