Your guardian, someone you can count on

Are you a minor and without parents in Belgium? Then the police or the asylum services will notify the Guardian service. This service will look for a guardian for you.

The Guardian service will assign a guardian, who is a man or a woman who will help you make decisions about your procedure, your place of residence and your life in Belgium. Your guardian has various tasks.

The Guardian service will give you a letter with the name and details of your guardian. 

Always keep this letter with you, because you need it for every contact with the Belgian government. Save your guardian's name and phone number to your mobile phone.

When do you get a guardian?

  • You are younger than 18 years old (minor).
  • You are staying in Belgium without your parents.
  • You come from a country outside Europe or you come from a country within Europe and you are in a vulnerable situation.
  • You have submitted an application for international protection or you do not have a residence permit.

When does the guardian service stop?

  • Your mother or father are in Belgium.
  • You are 18 years old.
  • You leave Belgium.