Your guardian, someone you can count on
The Guardian service will assign a guardian, who is a man or a woman who will help you make decisions about your procedure, your place of residence and your life in Belgium. Your guardian has various tasks.
The Guardian service will give you a letter with the name and details of your guardian.
When do you get a guardian?
- You are younger than 18 years old (minor).
- You are staying in Belgium without your parents.
- You come from a country outside Europe or you come from a country within Europe and you are in a vulnerable situation.
- You have submitted an application for international protection or you do not have a residence permit.
When does the guardian service stop?
- Your mother or father are in Belgium.
- You are 18 years old.
- You leave Belgium.