Having my diploma recognised in Flanders
Do you have a foreign diploma? NARIC Flanders recognises foreign diplomas for people wishing to work or study in Flanders.
How to have your diploma recognised?
You can choose between two different procedures:
1. Level recognition: NARIC makes a decision on the level of your foreign diploma.
- To find out with which Flemish education level your foreign diploma is comparable (e.g. secondary education, higher vocational education, bachelor or master).
- To apply for a given job.
- There is no corresponding higher education course in Flanders.
- If you do not (or no longer) have the study programme of your course.
2. Specific recognition: NARIC makes a decision on the specific Flemish diploma with which your foreign diploma is equivalent.
- If you wish to practise a regulated profession in Belgium, for example: doctor, nurse, architect, accountant, etc.). To access a regulated profession, you must also apply for professional recognition from another body.
- If you want to use a protected title, for example industrial engineer, commercial engineer, civil engineer, doctor, dentist, pharmacist, architect, midwife, social worker.
- If recognition with a specific study certificate is necessary to practise a given job.
- If you apply for recognition for a doctoral degree.
Which documents you have to provide to NARIC depends on the procedure. For a specific recognition, you need more documents than for a level recognition. If your documents are not in Dutch, French, English or German, you also need to add a translation.
Applying for the equivalence of your diploma is free of charge for people who, at the time of the application:
- are applicants for international protection
- are recognised refugees or have received subsidiary protection
- receive a larger contribution and can prove this with a certificate from the health insurance fund
- receive a living wage from the CPAS/OCMW or social assistance equal to a living wage
- have an integration contract of less than three years old
- are jobseekers and are sent by the VDAB or ACTIRIS