Driving a car in Belgium
To drive a car, there are important rules that you must respect.
Which documents do you need?
To drive a car in Belgium, you need the following documents:
- International or Belgian driving licence
- The car's 'grey card' (proof of registration)
- Insurance documents
If the police pull you over, you need to present these documents.
Important traffic rules
The following rules are very important when driving a car in Belgium:
- cars drive on the right side of the road
- You must keep an eye on your maximum speed (50 km/h or 30 km/h in the city, 120 km/h on the motorway, 30 km/h near schools).
- All occupants must wear a seat belt (front and rear)
- You must not use a mobile phone or make calls while driving
- You must not drink any alcohol
- You cannot park wherever you like (for free). Watch out for signs!
- You must give priority to cars coming from the right at intersections without traffic lights.