If you do not have valid residence papers, then you are without legal residency in Belgium. You do not receive any support from the government, and you are not allowed to work.
You do not receive any support
If you are in Belgium without legal residency, then you must leave the reception centre or the CPAS residence. You are therefore not entitled to reception with Fedasil or assistance from the CPAS/OCMW. You are also not allowed to work. Being without legal residency in Belgium is illegal.
If you do not leave, the Immigration Office may transfer you to a detention centre and repatriate you to your country of origin.
What are your rights?
- Your children are entitled to an education, so they can go to school.
- You are entitled to urgent medical assistance (doctor).
- You are entitled to legal assistance (lawyer).
Choosing a sustainable future
You have three options:
- You can choose to return to your country of origin.
- You take the steps to stay in Belgium legally.
- You continue your journey to another country where you can legally reside.
Think carefully about what is the best option for you and your family, for a sustainable future. Talk about this with your social worker or lawyer. They can advise you.